July 17, 2011

Cider soaked Ham: Perfect for every occasion!


My mother always seems to have a ham in the fridge. It's the best thing ever. As you're waiting for dinner to cook or whatever you can cut a slice off, spread it with mustard and down the hatch. But it's not just for snacking: a few slices of ham with new potatoes, parsley sauce & spring cabbage is amaaazing. A sandwich made with real crusty sourdough, mustard, a strong cheddar and some of this beautiful smoked ham is the nicest lunch ever. When you don't feel like cooking a dinner on warm summer nights just assemble a ploughman's platter: basically anything that's in the fridge will work. Pickles, salads, cheese and a little dip made by mixing some honey with mayonnaise and mustard. It's so nice! I actually am not big into meat, I don't really like beef or chicken but real cooked ham will always have a place in my heart. It was always a mystery to me how my mother cooked the ham but she told me how the other day and I went out and got some of my own in The English Market in Cork.


What you'll need:
1 piece of ham (mine was around ten euro, I forgot to weigh it)
6 allspice berries
4 cloves
1 tin cider
1 oven proof pot with a lid

Simply place everything into the pot, cover and place in an oven preheated to 180C for 1 hour.
And that's it! Oh and it also makes a gorgeous addition to eggs benedict!
Lilly x

3 comments:

  1. Delicious! That plate looks so inviting, I love chutneys with ham as well. I made a Rhubarb Chutney the other day and hubbie was in the fridge slathering it onto slices of ham and as you say 'down the hatch' I love the idea of cooking the ham in cider, will cook it that way next time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Love proper ham, thickly sliced and on crusty bread! Pics look fab!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!x