August 15, 2011

Easy Indian Flatbread & The Loaves & Fishes August Menu


UPDATE: The Supper Club is now booked out for August and as I'm going on maternity leave we're taking a break till next year but I'll keep the blog updated about future events! Thanks! x
Mango Fool with Coconut Biscuits
  I've been doing loads of cooking and recipe testing in preparation for the next (and last for a while!) Loaves & Fishes Supper. As usual there will be a loose theme and the planned summery evening will be Indian! Nothing will be too crazy hot or spicy so everyone should enjoy it. I'm using the amazing spices from Green Saffron, a Cork based company that import and mix the most amazing fresh spices.

  • Cucumber and Elderflower Champagne Cocktail
  • Mini Poppadums with fresh mint, red onion and mango chutneys
  • Chola Tikki (Indian Falafel) with salad
  • Green Saffron Red Lentil Dahl with Pilau Rice, Banana Raita and Coriander Flatbreads
  • Mango Fool with Coconut Biscuits
  • Tea & Coffee with Eastern Mendiants
Everything is homemade and it was great to practice making everything, especially the flatbreads! I've included the recipe below.I think they'd be perfect with dill added for a greek meal or chilli flakes. It's similar to a scone recipe and very versatile.

Coriander Flatbreads

Makes 8

300g plain flour
2 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp bread soda
1 tsp nigella seeds
3 tbsp fresh coriander leaves, chopped
250ml plain yogurt
Olive Oil (for frying)

  • Sieve the flour, ground coriander, baking powder, bread soda and salt together into a large bowl. Stir through the nigella seeds and chopped coriander.
  • Add the yogurt and combine with a fork until the mixture forms clumps.
  • Tip onto a floured surface and knead for a minute until a smooth dough forms.
  • Divide into eight equal pieces. Roll each piece into a circle 4 1/2" wide.
  • Lightly oil a heavy based frying pan and place over a medium heat. Cook the breads 2 or 3 at a time, leave for 3 minutes on each side until puffed up and golden brown. Serve warm.
I'll post the recipes for the onion chutney and Chola Tikki too!
Lilly x

6 comments:

  1. Lilly, firstly belated congrats on your baby news. It seems I live under a rock as I only just read the last post (or haven't been reading your blog often enough lately!).

    The menu for the August supper looks fantastic. I love, love, love Indian food. Mango fool & coconut biscuits = yum! I hope the last supper goes off as brilliantly as the first one last November. (Please don't leave us forever!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lilly, I've been trying your recipes and love them. Can't wait for the book! I'm having a dinner party myself next week and am tempted by the mango fool & coconut biscuits... any chance you can post the recipe?

    I just saw your article in the Cork Independent. Good to see you'll be writing for them too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lilly,

    Many congratulations on your pregnancy and the forthcoming book - two new deliveries to look forward to!

    I made the flatbreads last night and they turned out pretty well. The only thing is I had to add at least twice as much yoghurt than the recipe calls for in order to get the dough to come together. I just used plain Glenisk yoghurt, did I do something wrong?

    Many thanks
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Emma, Email me at talktolilly@gmail.com and I'll email the recipe to you!x Hi Catherine, I just changed it to the correct amount of 250ml! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yum. Cannot wait for this! Nicki

    ReplyDelete
  6. When is the August Supper Club? Is there space? and if so how much?!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!x