Oh. Yum. So gorgeous and so easy. This beauty is smattered with lavender buds and covered in sugar. A golden crumbly cake with a subtle floral scent that epitomises a summer afternoon in the garden. Sigh. I got the lavender buds from The Real Olive Company stall in The English Market in Cork. My giant lavender plant still hasn't flowered so for now I'll rely on these.
Lavender Madeira Cake
Makes 1 cake/ 12 slices
125 g butter, softened
150g sugar & extra to sprinkle
175g self raising flour
4 tsps lavender flowers, fresh or dried
Finely grated zest of 1 orange
- Preheat the oven to 170/325. Grease & line a metal loaf tin about 19cmx19cm.
- Put all the ingredients into a large bowl and mix for 1 to 2 mins until smooth.
- Turn into the tin, level the top and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for about 1 hour or until risen and just firm to the touch.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool and sprinkle more sugar on top.
Isn't it so easy? Unreal. I'm definitely going to make it again. Before I tasted it I was thinking of covering the top in lilac icing, which would have looked gorgeous but there really is no need, it tastes beautiful and delicate as it is. Perfect with a strong pot of tea.